Expand Menu Close Menu
Telephone: 1800 677 342

Thinking about making a complaint?

Skip to:

Anyone can make a complaint about the provision of a disability service by a regulated Victorian disability service provider. Whether you are a person with a disability, a family member or friend of someone with a disability, a staff member, carer, or a member of the community – you have the right to make a complaint.

To make a complaint about an NDIS funded service please visit the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission website.

To make a complaint about a DFFH funded disability service (such as disability advocacy services, disability forensic program), or TAC funded service you can contact us on 1800 677 342

We encourage people to talk to their disability service provider first to see if you can resolve your concerns. If you are not confident to speak to your service provider or you are not satisfied with the result, you can talk to us. Our complaints service is entirely independent, free and confidential.

If you are not sure whether you want to make a complaint, you can still call us to talk about what’s on your mind. You don’t need to provide evidence about what’s worrying you. We can help you over the phone with advice and information, and you can decide what you want to do from there.

Complaints we can take

We can take complaints about the provision of disability services by a regulated disability service provider in Victoria, Australia. This includes disability services that are funded by  Department of Families, Fairness and Housing and Transport Accident Commission funded services.

Not sure what this means? Here are some examples of complaints we have managed in the past to give you an idea of the scope of our work:

  • David complained because his son Richard wasn’t being properly supported at mealtimes or with his personal care when at respite care
  • Alice complained that she felt unsafe in her disability group home as another resident was throwing things and yelling at her
  • Lara complained because the staff at her sister Page’s home wasn’t keeping her up-to-date on changes in the home
  • Li-Ping complained that she didn’t understand why her daughter’s residential fees had been increased.

Make a complaint about a Victorian disability service

Complaints we can’t take

If your complaint isn’t about disability services provided to you by a regulated Victorian disability service provider, you may need to talk to someone else about your concerns. This might include issues such as:

  • the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA)
  • the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission
  • disability support pensions
  • home and community care (HACC) services

If you are not sure if your complaint is about a Victorian disability service provider, you can still contact us. Even if we can’t handle your complaint, we may be able to help you find the right place to go.

Benefits of making a complaint

If you are not happy with a disability service provider, making a complaint either to the service provider directly or to us is the best way to create change. Service providers want to know when their clients aren’t happy. This helps them make changes to service delivery that will make things better for all their clients.


Do you have more questions? You might be interested in our frequently asked questions.

Level 30, 570 Bourke Street,

Melbourne, Victoria, 3000 Australia

Call for enquiries or complaints - 1800 677 342

Email for enquiries or complaints - complaints@odsc.vic.gov.au