Expand Menu Close Menu
Telephone: 1800 677 342

Living in a disability group home - you have rights - in plain English

You have rights when you live in a disability group home with workers to support you.
You have a right to:

  • Be treated with dignity and respect
  • Privacy
  • Go into your bedroom, the bathroom, the toilet and common areas (like the lounge)
  • Use and enjoy the house

There are areas in the house that are shared.

  • These include the lounge, the dining area and the kitchen.
  • You should be allowed to use these areas when you want to.
  • The other people living in the house should also be allowed to use these areas when they want to.

There are areas in the house that are private.

These include bedrooms, bathrooms and toilets.

  • You should be allowed to go into your bedroom when you want.
  • Other people should only go into your bedroom when you let them.
  • You can only go into other people’s bedrooms when they let you.
  • You should be able to use the bathroom and toilet when you want to. You will have to wait if there is someone else using it.



Sarah lives in a group home with 3 other people.

She has lived at the house for 5 years. She likes her house. It has a big backyard and her bedroom is really comfortable. Sarah likes to spend time in the lounge room. She likes to watch cooking programs on the TV. She likes to cook and bake.

Last year a new person moved into the house. His name was Tom.


Tom yelled at Sarah and the other people in the house. Sarah did not like it when Tom yelled.

Staff told Sarah to go to her bedroom when Tom was yelling.

Sarah did not like going to her room. She liked spending time in the lounge room. She liked to be able to watch her favourite cooking shows and to cook. She was not enjoying living in her house. She thought it was unfair for staff to tell her to go her room.

Sarah decided to speak up about it and make a complaint. Sarah has a right to be safe in her own home.

The Disability Services Commissioner cannot ask for people to be moved out of a group home. They can talk to the disability service about ways they can make it safer for you and people you share your home with. You have rights.

It’s still OK to make a complaint about your disability service

To make a complaint about a Victorian disability service funded by DFFH or TAC you can contact us on 1800 677 342  or email complaints@odsc.vic.gov.au

To make a complaint about NDIS funded supports and services you can call NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission on 1800 035 544  or email contactcentre@ndiscommission.gov.au

Level 30, 570 Bourke Street,

Melbourne, Victoria, 3000 Australia

Call for enquiries or complaints - 1800 677 342

Email for enquiries or complaints - complaints@odsc.vic.gov.au